Friday, January 9, 2015

Generic/Store brand vs brand name

I try to buy generic brands/store brands as much as possible, but there are some things I just won't buy generic because either I just don't like it or my family doesn't.  Peanut butter is one of them. Gotta be Jif! Though I do buy generic peanut butter for our dogs kong ball treats and have used it to make peanut butter cookies. I have tried generic canned veggies and just don't find them to be as good of quality (and I don't even really like veggies much to begin with!).  I've tried the generic crescent rolls and will stick with name brand. I stick with name brand cereals too, though I have tried generic Cheerios, etc.  Coffee I buy brand name because I have found a brand I like best. I also won't buy generic mayonnaise. Bread is another that I don't like store brands.


Things I buy almost always buy generic:
Milk
butter
sour cream
cheese......though I don't see much point in buying Walmart's Great Value shredded cheese - it's only .02 cents cheaper than some of the name brands. I will definitely buy another local store's store brand when they put theirs on sale for 3/$5
baking supplies like sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, etc
Shredded hashbrowns (for a casserole I make)
Frozen veggies (for casseroles also)
I do on occasion buy some generic cookies
soups for cooking
dried pasta
ibuprofen and other OTC medicines
I have also bought store brand sodas in flavors like orange, fruit punch and root beer, but since I personally hardly ever drink soda, it's not very often. DH is stuck on his Mtn Dew.

Some of the brand name things I can end up getting cheaper than generics anyway, when combining a sale price and coupons. Like my coffee - there are often $1 and $2 coupons out there as well as it going on sale for $5 for a bag.

I should start paying more attention to all what generics are available and at to least be open to giving more a try. Plus I'm sure some differences in tastes would get acquired after awhile.

What things will you go generic/store brand on and what are some things you just won't?







3 comments:

  1. I used to work for a large food manufacturer, and I can tell you that those generics are usually nearly identical to the brand names. In fact, for some of the biggest sellers, the stores sell EXACTLY the same item as the brand but in generic packaging. The brand firms often sell to the stores to sell as generic because the stores will give them more shelf space or a better deal, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I won't go generic on is Qtips, everything else is great as long as it's priced right! ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heinz ketchup and Miracle Whip are 2 that I cannot switch!

    ReplyDelete