Friday, December 23, 2016

Vacation days

I've been enjoying my past couple of days of vacation time. Wednesday DH and I drove into the city and did a bunch of shopping. Went to Walmart and got stocked up on food and things. Made a trip to Lowe's for a few things and got some cabinets for our laundry room. Nothing too fancy or expensive, but looks much neater having the supplies inside a cupboard rather than on an open shelf that was on the wall
They also had a tall narrow cabinet that we have decided we will also get that can go between the washing machine and the hot water heater that you can't see in the picture.

Yesterday I spent cleaning, baking and wrapping presents, so all that is done. I made my annual sugar cookies (mom's recipe) and as always, while they taste amazing, they always poof out and lose their shape so really don't look like any of the Christmas shapes they are supposed to. Wish I could figure out the trick to that! I've tried all the things I know: refrigerating dough (the recipe says too), adding flour, I've tried real butter, I've tried margarine. Oh well. I also made a couple of loaves of banana bread.

Tuesday night we went to the restaurant in town for our weekly dinner out. For the most part we have had the same waitress every time. She's a sweet, shy, young woman. I know she has small twins and not sure if any other kids. My usual tip is $4-5 (20%). This time when I went up to the counter to pay (she rings up too) I handed her 2 $20 bills and told her to keep the change ($16). I thought she was going to start crying. She came around the counter and gave me a big hug. She is the sweetest.

Not sure what we are doing today. It's supposed to start snowing again later today. DH mentioned going to visit a guy he knows - he used to live over where we did and DH knew him through work. The guy is a millionaire, lives on a huge ranch nearby, and DH has been meaning to stop and say hi to him. I would love to see his home. It's for sale and the pictures are just amazing. (hmmm...we didn't have 12 million, so couldn't buy it HAHA!) Though in typical DH style instead of asking the guy a couple of days ago if he'll be around or when is a good day, DH will try to text him today at the last minute, haha. So, likely we won't end up visiting today.

We will open our gifts tomorrow, as we traditionally open Christmas Eve and then open small gifts in our stockings on Christmas morning. I found a small turkey to make that and all the trimmings on Christmas Day. We will just be having a nice, quiet, white Christmas with just us two and the dogs. Perfect.









8 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you. I love my vacation days too! So nice to be home and plump up the nest when we have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you! Hope you are feeling better :)

      Delete
  2. Love vacation days! And, what a kind & thoughtful gift for your waitress. Sometimes it's the small kindnesses that make the biggest impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freeze the cookies after you cut them out - for 15 minutes. That should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if the recipe calls for too much leavening. Why not try a different recipe next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what leavening is! tells you how much I bake haha!

      Delete
  5. Hi there! I rarely get a chance to comment and say hi but I want to wish you Happy New Year!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debtgirl! Hope your New Year is the best!

      Delete