Thursday, May 31, 2012

Where did May go?

This month of May just seemed to swallow me up.  I'm not exactly sure why but I've felt so distracted the past few weeks and haven't been able to concentrate long enough to even seem to put together a short post.  Life this month has revolved around the start of my son's racing season.  That's probably the root of my unfocused mind - I make it through one weekend of racing, just relieved that he's still in one piece, only to have the next weekend peeking it's way into my thoughts and worries. On a great note, he finally did win a race! Woohooo!! It was a great confidence booster for him.

My "entertainment" expenses category is back in full force with costs of attending the races. I pay for myself and daughter - son, dad and a pit crew member come out of son's racing budget money.  But at $60 a race for the both of us, it's taking a chunk out of my budget.  Usually I just (in my mind) offset it with the reduction in electricity bills during these months. Instead of $300+ a month, I'm paying less than $100 a month electricity with the warm weather.  The rest of the year our entertainment spending is pretty much non-existent.

I just checked Mint.com earlier to see what my totals were for the month. I was really scared to look at the groceries and fast food, but it really wasn't that bad. Pretty much in line with what I've been spending since I started tracking the first of the year. I had felt like I was really spending a lot at the grocery stores and especially fast food.  It was a bit higher for fast food, but overall food costs were pretty normal.

We still haven't spent the $1500 I had set aside for our landscape project (and my EF/savings is still sitting at just a hair under $3000).  Dh's friend, who was going to do most of the work, seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Dh decided to use $450 of that money to buy some needed parts for Ds's race car.  I told him I didn't care if he changed the use for the money, but to remember that $450 won't be in the budget for the landscaping if he does decide down the road to still do it.  He always has selective memory when it comes to things like that!

Dd's tennis camp starting first of July will be $350 and my wonderful Mom has offered to pay $200 of it.  Today Dd registered for her 3 college classes for next fall. She luckily got into the classes and times she wanted.  We will just have to pay the fee of $113 and for books.  She will also be taking one class, her foreign language, at the high school.  She's very excited about it and really doesn't care one whit about missing "the high school experience" for the next 2 years. She'll still get to play on the tennis team (voted in as co-captain for next year) and that's all she really cares about. She has planned on doing this college credit program while still in high school for years.  Her best friend (who also plans to go to college) always acted like she was making a dumb decision to miss out on high school, but Dd told her getting 2 years of college out of the way for free will be a big savings to our family (we don't have the money her doctor dad and teacher mom make) and she'll graduate college 2 years earlier too.  Apparently her best friend thought about it, because she changed her mind about it all a few months ago and they got into the same classes.

I reconnected with an old high school friend through facebook a couple of weeks ago.  Always interesting to see where everyone ended up.  We had a nice long chat on the phone one evening.  Am I the only one who hates talking on the phone? Once I get started talking I'm ok, but I really just hate it. I hate when the phone rings and I hate calling people!  I wonder why that is. Probably why I also hardly ever use a cell phone. I've had jobs where I had to talk on the phone a lot and it didn't bother me for that, but personally, I'd just rather not, LOL.

Tonight's project - get to the store for some hair dye - the grays have really grown out and I'm past due about a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment