Friday, November 14, 2014

What a shame

It's sad that we live in a world where a person has to check their bank account or credit card every single day to make sure fraud charges aren't going through.  Recently the company credit card, where I work, got hacked, by some gaming company. This is about the 3rd time on this card in the past year. My mom said she recently got hacked, again it was some gaming company. I was just thinking the other day that I'm surprised nothing has happened on my PayPal debit card.  Well, I logged in today and sure enough there were 2 unauthorized charges pending. One for $100 and one for $25. Both to a gaming company. They were similar names, but not quite the same and not the same gaming company names that hit my mom's or work's cards.

So, now those are flagged and will get denied when they go through (they are in pending status, so I guess Paypal can't do anything until it "completes", which is usually the next day) and my card has been canceled and a new one on the way. I have to wait a week or so for the new card to get here, plus I have things set up to pay with this current card #, so I'll have to check to make sure nothing tries to go though between now and getting my new card #.  And then go change all my payment accounts. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

I remind my DD all the time to be checking her bank account online every day.

8 comments:

  1. It is sad but be happy you didn't find this out as you leaving town on vacation like I did once.
    I'd like to take a dull plastic knife to these terrible people who do this stuff! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My coworkers husband was boarding a vacation cruise and was told his card was maxed out. Turns out someone was making purchases in Chicago. My coworker and her husband live 90 minutes north of Toronto. It was as a nightmare trying to get it all fixed.

      Delete
    2. Oops...."it was a nightmare" not "as a nightmare".

      Delete
  2. I kept having iTunes charges added to my visa that were not mine. They were small amounts each time but so frustrating!!! Apple refunded me about 3 months worth. I would not want to be dealing with the charges you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, so far it hasn't been a major hassle. I caught them while they are still in pending status. Paypal has flagged them to deny when they go through and is sending me out a new card today. I'm just glad I caught it before it hit my bank account as a withdrawal. I think the most annoying part of it all is to have to change all my autopay accounts and online business's where I have this card set up as my primary payment (Amazon, etc)

      Delete
  3. Very sad. My mom has been called by the "IRS" 3 times now, total scam in our area. It's been in the papers & after the last phone call she called the police. Ridiculous. I do check all my online accounts daily .... shouldn't have to but I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my coworkers just got taken by this IRS scam! for several thousand dollars. I really can't believe she fell for it, she is a smart high level manager and she just panicked and freaked out when they called and fell for it. She finally got suspicious after she paid them and then they called right back and said they made a mistake, she really owed $10,000. Seriously - the IRS doesn't get paid by getting prepaid cards and giving them the #'s off of them......Sigh.....

      Delete