Sunday, October 13, 2024

A broken day

Our trip to pick up groceries just seemed annoying, all around, LOL. About every other trip, after getting our order picked up at Walmart, we then stop quickly at another grocery store, where I pick up their frozen hamburger patties (I don't like Walmart's patties) and sometimes some frozen salmon. I know Costco has frozen patties, so I said to dh we can either stop at Costco for the patties or the other store. And grab whatever else we see. He opted to try Costco and we stopped there first. We got there at 5pm, they close at 6. Not any less crowded than any other time, sigh.

We found the hamburger patties, so I got 2 bags. That should last awhile. DH grabbed a few other frozen things to try. Some breakfast sandwiches, some battered frozen fish fillets, and we got some more of the mini tacos. I said no more - this stuff is all such large boxes, we'll use up all our (2) coolers space and have no room for our Walmart frozen/cold stuff. But, he wanted to look for some carne asada meat that a friend told him about, so we found that over in the meats section. I had also been wanting to find/try these "caramelized onion with white cheddar" chicken burger patties dd recommended, but last time I couldn't find them. I didn't realize there was another frozen section of stuff over by the meats and that's where I found them. I also remembered to bring my $25 Costco gift card I had received for my glasses taking so long, months ago.

So, we ended up spending twice as much time (and money!) at Costco as planned. We get to Walmart around 5:40 with only one other car in the waiting area and they got taken care of just as we arrived. Then we sat there, for like 10 minutes before anyone came out. Usually they are very quick. Two girls brought our stuff out and it just seem chaotic. Probably because there were 2 of them. We kind of have a system where I tell them to put the bins of cold stuff down on the ground at the tailgate and then I go to work putting the stuff in the cooler and cooler bags I have. Then they go over to the side and dh starts putting all the rest (which is most of the order) into the back seat (folded down) of the truck. Sometimes this all goes smoothly and fast. Other times it just seems chaotic - seems to depend on the Walmart employee, LOL. Usually there is just one that brings the stuff out.

And, since dh wanted that carne asada meat (not frozen) I of course didn't have the other stuff he wanted to make this meal - rice, refried beans and tortillas. I didn't want to go inside Walmart to get that stuff (it's too big and I'm not familiar enough where everything is). By then it's a little after 6pm and we are both getting hungry. We pulled into the other smaller grocery store and I ran in and grabbed those extra items needed, but still another 10 minutes. Finally we get over to Wendy's with a line around the restaurant. Slowest service ever there. Usually they have a very quick drive thru line. We were there like 25 minutes and it was 6:50 before we got our food and headed home. I think by then both of us had had enough of this trip, haha. That's why I don't like combining having to stop a bunch of places. After the almost hour drive each way, anything more than an hour in the city makes for a long trip.

Then going home this semi truck pulled over right in front of us on the freeway. So, of course dh had to complain about that for the next 5 miles. The only thing the evening had going for it was it was sunny, 75 degrees, and pretty fall colors for the drive :)

When we went and picked up our Walmart order 3 weeks ago, we were gone a total of a little over 2 hours - it was perfect, but we only stopped at Walmart and Wendys and getting our Walmart order out and loaded went really fast that time. It has seemed like going in on a Saturday, leaving our house at 4, was a good plan.

I guess I will be trying to figure out how to make him a carne asada meal for dinner tonight. Plus, it's a huge amount of meat, so I'm going to have to freeze the rest of it.

I think once dh is up this morning, I will make blueberrry muffins for breakfast. We haven't had those in awhile. I was going to just have him try one of  his new egg sandwiches he bought, but I'll wait and try that tomorrow morning, when it will save me time, because I'll have already started working by the time he gets up. 

For the first part of the day I got laundry done, dusted, and cleaned the bathroom and the shower floor. This time I just went back to using the long brush on a handle and some "Soft Soap" cleaner, like I used to use before I got the steam mop. Again, he complains about the smell "it's killing my sinus's". I said too bad - you complain if it's just steamed water. I have to clean it with something! If you don't like it, go out to your shop or open your den window. His excuse was that he took the screen off the window. Well, put it back on for the day. Geez. I've really had enough with his super sensitive smelling. 

Then, when I was dusting, I was picking up my "cowboy boot" cookie jar off the bar counter top corner and was setting it down on the kitchen counter and it slipped out of my hand and the lid fell off and broke into too many pieces to fix. That was a bummer. I have had that cookie jar for a very long time. My mom had gotten it for me on a trip down to Arizona, years ago. I think I might try to find one of Ebay. Or maybe I can re-purpose it - put some fake greenery in it or something. Do you remember the Reba tv series? In that show she had the same exact cookie jar sitting on her kitchen counter and it never had the lid - I guess I match that one now, LOL.

1 comment:

  1. I would not wait until 4 on Saturday to drive that far to Walmart. But, if it has worked for you....
    I do understand about the smells! Things really irritate my sinuses/allergies.
    My mother gave me an apple cookie jar. I broke the lid and was devastated. I grabbed fake greenery and stuck it in the bottom. Thankfully, the lid broke in only two pieces. I had it on top of the refrigerator, so no one could see the crack, still visible.


    ReplyDelete