Monday, October 7, 2024

Weekend wrap up

I forgot to mention in my weekend post yesterday that on Saturday afternoon I watched my aunt's memorial service, which was streamed live. She was a sweet lady and that was evident by those that spoke about her. My uncle did not attend, but even though they live in the same state, it would have been a 3 hour drive each way for him, so that is totally understandable.

Yesterday I mostly just continued to try to rest up. The coughing seems to be happening less often, but worse when it does - whatever that means, LOL. But, I actually have not coughed yet this morning, so that is good. Usually after I first get up, I start coughing a bit. I always just wake up, with no alarm, between 6:30 and 7. I'm usually up around 6:50. Since getting sick I've been waking up from a sound sleep around 7:10 and getting up closer to 7:30. I start work at 8, so I'd rather have a little more time to myself before I start work. I'm hoping with the time change, I can get back to my normal time, but that's a month away.

I don't know where there is a forest fire, but the air has gotten smokey. It sure was a nice mild summer, for forest fires, so we didn't have to spend the whole summer breathing in smoke. Seems kind of late in the year for a fire.

A few tidbits from the cruise: of course we didn't need near the clothes we packed. I had bought 4 new nicer tops (ie not tshirts), thinking I'd change into these for dinner. I wore one! LOL. To be fair, I was going to wear one for the more dressier dinner Saturday night, but then we didn't end up going. DH packed himself and holy moly - why he brought that much, I don't know. We had discussed that he would wear his jeans like 2-3 days, so he'd only need the pair he had on and 2 more. Nope he had like double of everything he needed. We almost didn't get it all back in the suitcases, because dirty clothes (in a bag) are harder to fit in, than getting everything rolled and packed tightly.  

Didn't need the little magnetic hooks I got. There was plenty of closet space, etc. I suppose if you had a couple of kids with you in a cabin, these would be handy. We only used both sets of small binoculars once, while watching a whale from our balcony. We brought one set with us on our excursions, but for the type of excursions we did, didn't really need them for anything. One pair would have been enough to bring with us.

I had packed a little "pharmacy" LOL. Turns out, the sinus meds and cough drops came in handy, as well as the tylenol, of course. I thought I had packed my thermometer, but could not find it. Turns out, when I was prepacking, I first tried to fit everything into this little separate bag and it would not fit. When I took it all out, I left the thermometer in the bottom of that bag, on accident.

Having luggage tags already on our luggage, saved time. We didn't have to stand in a small line at a kiosk to get luggage tags printed and then stapled to attach to our bags. 

The outwear we brought was perfect. We did not bring any winter wear. From the weather reports I could tell it was going to be in the 50's (Day one excursion was 60). Day 1 excursion I just wore a long sleeve shirt and a zip up hooded sweatshirt (that I ended up taking off) and ended up taking my  Day 2 it was raining a little (but not cold) so I had my lined rain jacket on with a tshirt under. Same for day 3 excursion. I think some people (likely from the south, LOL, thought it was going to be very cold as they had winter jackets and knit hats on. I don't need that until it gets down into the 30's haha.

5 comments:

  1. I tend to overpack too - but now you kinda know what is useful/not useful when you go. An outfit a day, plus extras is all that is really needed. I wish I could bring more than 100ml bottles in a carry on cause it is getting so annoying! I am glad your aunt had a wonderful memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me smile to read that you felt the cold less than those from further South!
    I'm sure that's true.
    I travelled a lot when younger and got it down to a fine art - it was leaving things behind when I was there that was my downfall!
    A watch in Goa, a pashmina in Ethiopia, a favourite jumper in New Zealand.
    The watch I remember twirling on my finger as. I looked out of the bus window - I unfortunately I fell asleep and woke up later to find it had gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friend said she accidentally left some jewelry she bought in one of the drawers. She messaged the cruise line and the room attendant had turned it in, so for a shipping fee she was able to have them send it to her.

      Delete
  3. I think when you drive to your destination it’s easy to overpack. But I am a pilot’s wife. There aren’t many edicts he makes, and even less we follow, but in our house, be it two days in Charleston, ten days in London or a week in Barbados, you got one carry on for the overhead and a tote to tuck under the seat. We all had nice wheeled suitcases. (And if you pack it, you carry it, whether you are four or fourteen.) That even held for the cruises. Granted, they were Caribbean cruises so we didn’t need outerwear, but back then, dinners were very formal, so I had to get evening gowns in that bag.

    Frankly, since I used to fly to and from
    college too, I am very good at packing light. It’s paid off too—the most profitable was a trip to London with Daughter, since we hadn’t checked bags, the agent came up to us and asked if she could reroute us. She offered to fly us first class to Boston, (a city I love and know well) where we were put up for the night at the airport, given a generous meal voucher we were shuttled to the first (painfully early) flight that morning. Agent asked us to hold up at boarding when we got there, even though we had assigned seats. After everyone had boarded, she walked us on and sat us in first class. I must say, getting to our destinations and being able breeze by the masses at baggage claim is nice! Still, the things some people think they have to take…and let’s just say I have a kid who likes to overpack!

    ReplyDelete