Thursday, September 26, 2024

The Cruise - Part 4

I'd have to say my least favorite part of the cruise was the breakfast buffet - for a couple of reasons. First off, it's a complete zoo! It felt like complete chaos to walk in there. Food stations set up all over and way too many people zigzagging here and there between the stations and their tables. It would take us a good 5 minutes just to find a place for 4 of us to sit. DH and I both hated it.

The food was very good though, and of course lots of choices. Just not relaxing at all. The second reason was we were definitely not on the same breakfast schedule as our friends. We were up by 7 or 7:30. Friends didn't want to leave for breakfast until 9am. We were both more than starving by then. We tried to get them to compromise a bit, in the middle like 8:30, but nope "we're on vacation". Ok. We suffered through it again the next morning. On Thursday our shore excursion was a bit earlier so we agreed to go to the dining room and that was SO much nicer. They even agreed.  The next morning we got down to the dining room at 8:45 but hadn't realized the dining room closed for breakfast at 8:30. Dang! So, we had to go back up to the stupid buffet. For the Saturday morning we had opted for a brunch (cost extra) and a galley tour of the kitchen, so that was in the dining room again. DH missed this because he was sick by then. More than likely the buffet is where we picked up the Covid.

That was our only issue in traveling with another couple. I told dh I'd love to do a cruise with DD and SIL as I know we'd all be on the same page or at least be willing to compromise some and meet in the middle on the time (though they are early risers, too).

My only other thing I wasn't that impressed with (considering how great everything else is) is the towels were pretty rough, haha. But, the shower was nice, even for the small size. The bathroom had plenty of shelf space for our stuff. The funny was around the second morning, after showering, dh say "I really like that shampoo/soap stuff they have" I say "oh?" and then he says "ya, I like the lemon smell" I said you mean the yellow shampoo and conditioner bottles in the shower? (not the wall unit that comes with a shampoo/soap/conditioner all in one) He says ya...I said "I brought those! LOL".  Doofus. LOL.

Our friends said the room seemed smaller/narrower than other cruises they've been on. Oh and here's something stupid - when friend booked our rooms she was told we couldn't get 2 rooms next to each other, there were booked, but we could get 2 with one room in between. Turns out the couple in between us and the couple on the other side of us..........they were traveling together! Why didn't they just put us next to each other and them next to each other in the first place? LOL. The other issue was that these people on the other side of us CONSTANTLY let their door slam every time in and out of the room. By the end of the week (and being sick) we were very sick of it.

Other notes: We purchased the "Key Program". I can't remember now how much extra (I paid for it like a year ago, after we booked) but a total of around $500 sticks in my mind. At the time, for me, hearing that it can be lines to get on board, and with dh's legs, I thought it would be worth it. Turns out, didn't even need it for that, at all. But, we would have purchased the wifi package and that was included and covered most of the cost of the wifi package, anyway. I did really like the welcome lunch that came with it, as well as being able to drop off our carryon's right after we boarded and they were delivered to our room. We did use it for getting off at the first port, but again, I don't think the regular line was slow either. We just kind of happened upon that when going to disembark the first port. The other 2 ports we didn't even see the separate place for "the key" and got off with everyone else, no issues. What would have been nice would have been to have a "key" line to get back on at ports - those lines were long and a bit slow. But, I see why they don't have that, since we had to go through screening to get back on. They did keep it moving well, though.

If I ever go on a cruise again, I'd definitely avoid the buffet. Not a fan, at all.

4 comments:

  1. How are you feeling? -Meg B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still coughing, but not quite as tired. This morning was the first morning my coffee has tasted somewhat normal, LOL.

      Delete
  2. That is odd you cannot book rooms next to each other. I would not necessarily be up by 7am on vacation but I can see why you wanted to be up early to eat. That is the problem with traveling with folks - different schedules! But it sounds fun overall for you. I bet you did get it from the buffet as well - close quarters, no fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose I would look silly wearing my mask to avoid germs! But, I would.
    The buffet does not sound like fun to me. Generally, I like a buffet, but not a madhouse.
    I suppose you learned how to vet a couple to travel with next time. It seems like just going when you wanted would be more comfortable for both couples.

    ReplyDelete