Sunday, June 30, 2024

Answers

Yesterday was pretty successful in finding out more about my 2nd great grandmother. Turns out she had not one, not 2, not 3, but 4 illegitimate children! Holy cow! My great grandmother was her 2nd child. Then, she married and had 3 more children. After she married a couple of census records show 3 of these 4 illegitimate children were living with her and her husband, but apparently my great grandmother never did. I wonder why. I was able to find most of this information via Scotlands People website, so that ended up costing a bit, but I'm satisfied now that I have the info I was looking for. I was also able to get several copies of birth records that I didn't find on ancestry. I never had luck trying familysearch at all.

Lots of rain today. Good thing dh was able to get the lawn mowed yesterday. 

Dh made a comment yesterday (because he spends more time outside than I do) that Mr. Neighbor sure has seemed reclusive lately. Mrs is out working in their yard, but he's barely out and doesn't even seem to be going anywhere, like he usually is most days. Then yesterday afternoon, an Amazon driver pulled in our street to deliver a package to us. I walked out our driveway to meet him halfway. I had heard one of their dogs bark just a couple barks, like they always do if someone pulls into our street. Then I think the dog could see me and the driver from where we were standing and barked again. I heard Mr. yell (loudly!) at the dog to be quiet. The driver was trying to put into his phone that he was delivering, I guess, so we were still standing there. The dog barked a couple barks again and Mr. yells "DAMMIT (dogs name)!".  That's not really like him to get that angry and the dog wasn't being annoying. Just a few barks. But, I always find it amusing that if they are home and the dogs bark just a minor amount, they will open the side door of the house that goes into their kennel and tell them to be quiet....yet we are supposed to be ok with listening to them bark for HOURS, when they aren't home, LOL. We have never ever minded some normal short term barking. It's when it just goes on and on. Fortunately, this doesn't happen too often, mostly because for once they haven't had their son's annoying dogs staying half the year, like every other year. It's when they add their 2 dogs to their pack of 3 that it gets very chaotic and too much barking over there.

We also had our first quiet June, haha! No neighbors son and his family visiting for weeks in June, like usual. Thank God they moved too far away to visit easily now, LOL.

I still have the month of paying for Ancestry to keep looking around. I had hoped maybe something would eventually pop up on my great grandfather on my mom's side. My grandpa's family has been hard to research, as they are Danish and boy, those last name changes going back farther are hard to figure out. I know my great grandfather's date of birth and place in Scotland (and have his birth record) and when he immigrated to the US., but the story I was always told by my grandparents is just before WWII he decided to go back to Denmark to live and after the war started they never heard from him again and I can't find anything more on him.


5 comments:

  1. I understand about the barking. The four dogs next door like to lie in the corner of their yard right under my bedroom window and bark all times of the day and night for hours at a time. The people have abandoned the house, so I think the dogs are depressed because they rarely bark, just stand and stare.
    That's great you found out about your family before they came here. I imagine that children out of wedlock was common. I know that I have a couple of shocking facts about my family, but the young girl married a railroad man who abandoned her. /s She had two 'husbands' abandon her. Well, one was killed on his railroad job. I am one of few people who know her relative raped her, impregnated her.
    I didn't know that a one-month subscription was available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who's been feeding and watering the dogs if the people abandoned the house? You can do a monthly, semi-annual or yearly subscription to Ancestry

      Delete
    2. We occasionally see someone over there, apparently feeding and watering, but is it enough? Sometimes, we don't see the dogs for two or three days.

      Delete
  2. My aunt who died not so long ago was really into tracing her ancestry but with a name like "Smith" it sure wasn't easy. I wouldn't even begin to try as I know I would get obsessive, but my nephew is doing quite well apparently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that when I get stuck, when I come back to it a year or two later, I end up finding new information that wasn't there before.

      Delete