I decided to bite the bullet and talk to my boss about moving and possibly keeping my job and working remote. I was pretty darn nervous inside and stressed about it all weekend. I figured I might as well get it done and over with, so I know one way or another. It was either going to be a yes or a no. I said that DH (and DD) and I have come to the conclusion we no choice but to sell our place to get away from the 3 years of drug dealing hell (she is all aware of it), that isn't going to go away. I said we have decided that if and when we can sell our house, we plan to move out of state. Mostly for DH's health and our peace of mind. We want to live somewhere peaceful and way less populated. She got a sad face and said "no, I don't want to lose you" and then I said "I don't want to lose this great job, either, and if there is any possibility of working out something out where I can work remotely, I would love that". She sighed with relief and said "we'll make it work" WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and then she said, "oh and you are getting a raise. I wanted to get it put in before I go on vacation next week, even though I haven't had time to do your formal review yet.. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I'll get it".
What a complete relief, to put it mildly. Now we are open to much more area to move to, since we won't have to be within a decent commute distance, if I would have had to find a new job.
So, we'll keep working on our little fix ups to get this place ready to sell and hope the market keeps going up. Some friends of our just put their house up for sale last week (they live about 70 miles away, but still in this large metropolitan area) and it sold in 2 days.
Life is heading in the right direction now, it seems.